Monday, May 14, 2012

Adventures in China

I have a wonderful job. I work for a large firm and I get to go exciting places and learn a lot of new things. My work takes me mainly around the US but recently in addition to seeing Portland, Seattle, San Francisco Bay area, Napa Valley, and Las Vegas, I got to go to China, specifically Shanghai, for a Global Meeting with a pit stop to S. Korea on the way home.

Now my knowledge of China is very limited and unfortunately I did no research before going (I learned the hard way that haven't some idea of the history of a place enriches the experience). I got to China knowing a few things: 1) It's a huge country 2) They were communist 3) They spoke Chinese 4) Fortune cookies didn't come from China (it's an American invention).

I had my slip of paper telling me the name of the driver who was to pick me up and an emergency contact number just in case. I was a bit worried but I had traveled around Europe by myself and I could handle any situation if I just took a breath and thought things through. Well little surprise - my solo trip to Europe doesn't compare to traveling in China. In Europe there is a good chance that who ever you are speaking to in places that frequently deal with tourist will have superb English. Not so in China.

When I finally figured that my driver wasn't there because my flight was an hour late trying to find a pay phone was horrendous (because they don't have any) and no one around spoke good enough English that I could convey what I was looking for. When I finally found the travel/information desk they let me use their phone (for a small fee) and I was able to contact the driver with his mobile number work had given me. I couldn't understand anything he said and had to have the lady who work there translate for me. After a brief conversation with him she said Xie Xie (pronounced Shay shay) and hung up the phone. She turned to me and said "you were too late he isn't coming". Oooookkkkk I am starting to panic slightly. I called the emergency contact number ready to freak out and the VP of my department answers the phone..... OK definitely can NOT freak out now. He told me to go to the Marriott Kiosk which I had seen as soon as I got through customs and have them arrange a driver for me and that my company would cover the cost. Phew panic averted. I paid the lady for the use of the phone (I still have no clue how much it cost me and now that I think about it I didn't expense it either.... hmmm...) and headed once again confident to the Marriott Kiosk...

Well no one was there... completely deserted stand. Finally a cop came up to me and I thought he was going to help me out but just told me to move along. I tried explaining to him but his English was barely there so once again I am wandering the terminal. Now I do not like going back to my boss' boss' boss and say heyyy..... yeah it's a no go. For some reason, I just can't do it. Plan A fell through and Plan B was almost in shambles. Not to mention I was already late getting to the meeting because I left a day later to be in a really good friend's wedding. I finally find just a general tourist stand where there was a Marriott employee. They arranged a car for me and suddenly I am off to meet up with the rest of my company.

I can tell you two things about the ride into the city: 1) I was in the city 5 minutes after leaving the airport but it took me 45 minutes without traffic to get to the city center 2) I was grinning like an idiot the entire time (hey! I was in shanghai! a place I am sure I had never even considered going to)

I arrived late Monday afternoon (Monday morning EST) just in time for the wrap up session and get information about where we were going for dinner. I was beat but I was in China. I was not missing one thing of this trip.

To be continued.....

Next post includes Chinese Karaoke, Taxi Drivers, Sightseeing, and my food experiences (especially a new found love for a steamed dessert dumpling)

No comments:

Post a Comment