Sunday, August 12, 2012

Neverland

My best friend and I are watching Hook on a very relaxing Sunday afternoon (during which I should be studying... only 10 more minutes I promise). When I was growing up my sister LOVED Peter Pan and I think that of all of us Baker kids she was the one who understood the beauty behind Neverland. The ability to never grow up.


I never wanted to be Peter Pan. Katie did. She loved the idea of flying and having adventures. Swimming with mermaids and fighting Pirates. I was content with being a lost boy or, even better, Tiger Lily (never Wendy or Tink, Wendy seemed too whiney and Tink was a bit of a b-*-t-c-h). Now as I watch Hook I see even more clearly how anxious I am to grow up.

My family has an unusual ability to remain young. Not young physically but in the heart. What comes easily to my family, I sometimes need to work harder at. Ever since I have been young I could not WAIT to grow up.  I wanted to go to high school and when I was in high school I couldn't wait until College and in College I dreamed of settling down with the right guy and having a couple of kids.

In watching Hook I have the desire to fly to the second star to the right, continue on til morning, and see what adventures I could have. I think that my desire to remain young has transferred itself. Since I can't go to Neverland, I go to Barcelona, London, and Argentina. But I do grow up, or at least old. Hopefully I can embrace my dad's motto. No, not "Ask for forgiveness not for permission" but "They can make me grow old, but they can't make me grow up".

Who wants to go play kick the can?

"To live... to live is an awfully big great adventure"

No comments:

Post a Comment