Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Beauty of the Barrenness

This week I started work that is in the middle of no where California. It is smaller than my grandparents' town of Elberton, GA. There is a walmart, a couple of chain fast food stores, and manufacturing businesses. It is also in the Desert in the San Jacinto Mountain region.

As an east coaster I am a firm believer of green landscapes and the four seasons. This place has one season - Summer. It is also as brown as can be. Unless you are in a neighborhood where they water their lawns every 2 hours to keep the grass alive. To be honest the grass looks and feels out of place. It feels spongy and when the rest of the environment is about the strongest of the scraggily trees and bushes the nicely trimmed deep green lawns seem out of place. There is a wildness about the scenery that makes me dream of gold rushes, cowboys, indians, and a fight for survival.


The neighborhoods here all have a fence around them. On one side of the fence is lush green and perfectly tended. The other is rough, untamed, bursting with sienna, coppers, and brown colors. I can not understaning living in full view of the untamed desert west and trying to force green into it.  I love driving the 30 minutes from Temecula (the forgotten younger brother of Napa) and it's tamed suburban feel to the openess of Hemet, CA. The mountains are begging to be hiked.

Anyone want to come visit me? Let's go exploring. I'll be Lewis, you be Clark.

No comments:

Post a Comment