Saturday, September 8, 2012

Willfully Disobedient

I went to get dinner tonight with a coworker at a local fast food mexican restaurant next to our hotel. The lady in front of us in line ordered and I noticed that she had some problems manuevering because she was using a walker. Thinking nothing much of it we ordered our food and went to go get our drinks. On our way to our table, her number was called. We had stopped to check to see if it was ours and my coworker helped her take the food to the table. She gave us her thanks saying "I don't know how to get around quite yet. My husband use to help me and he died this week."

Our number was called and we got our food. I heard God clearly say "Go sit with her. You hate eating alone when you are traveling, imagine how she feels, she lost her husband". My coworker was already sitting at another table and I didn't know how to gracefully tell him that I was going to be eating with a strange old lady that I had never met. In addition, to walk up to someone and start talking to them or even scarier ask to sit with them and eat is WAY outside my comfort zone. I sat down with my back to her. I kept on telling myself after we are done I will talk to her. God kept on pushing thoughts into my head. The stories that I could hear. The comfort I could give her. I glanced back at her once or twice, thinking I would go over once we were done eating. Or once my coworker was done eating. Feeling ashamed I turned around to finally talk to her but God had provided a more willing servant already. Someone to comfot a woman who was now sobbing quietly. I overheard her tell the woman that she had come her quite often with her husband, she couldn't count the number of times that she had been in that restaurant at that same exact table with him. That she didn't know how she was going to cope without him.

I can not even describe my sorrow at this. I had let a woman who is greiving and eating alone, the one thing I HATE to do by myself, be without comfort. How hard would it have been to say "That woman just lost her husband, I am going to eat with her."? God is merciful and loving and gave her a willing ear to listen to her. I can only cry and pray for forgiveness for not going to one of his children when there was a need. I only wish I can apologize to that woman.

Matthew 25:36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.

I am sorry I didn't comfort you. I am so sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment